How to lead a phone call in English and what phrases to use? Lets sort them according to the situation they relate to.
ANSWERING THE PHONE
- Jim Pearson
- Lucy speaking.
- This is Michael.
- Hello, Finance Department, Eva speaking.
- Good morning. National Theatre. Ali speaking.
Getting info about the caller
- Who’s calling?
Getting the reason for the call
- How can I help you?
- I’ll put you through.
- Can you hold on a moment?
- Just a moment.
- The line is engaged.
- I had best directly connect you with…
Person not available
- I am afraid his line is engaged.
- I’m afraid he is not available at the moment.
- Mrs Roberts is not in at the moment.
Taking the message
- Can I take a message?
Ending a conversation
- Is there anything else I can help you with today?
- Thank you for calling.
MAKING A PHONE CALL
- It’s Mrs Scheider.
- Hello is that Sarah Greenwood?
Ask to speak to someone
- Could I speak to Mr Turner, please?
- May I speak to Mr Turner, please?
- Can I speak with Mr Turner, please?
- May I help you?
Say the reason for the call
- Mr Johnson rang me this morning, and I was asked to call him back.
- I’m phoning to…
Leaving a message
- Can I leave a message?
- Could you ask him to call me?
Thanks and farewells
- Thank you ever so much.
- It’s been most kind of you to help me.
PROBLEMS WITH PHONE CALLS
We don’t understand or hear the other person
- Could you speak a little slower, please?
- Would you mind saying it again?
- I am sorry I can’t hear you.
Pavla: It’s Pavla. Could I speak to Albert Cleese?
Clark: I’m sorry. He’s having a meeting and I can’t disturb him. Can I connect you with his colleague Mr Lorenc?
Pavla: No, thanks. When will be Mr Cleese available?
Clark: I’m not sure. They’ve just begun.
Pavla. OK. Could you ask him to call me?
Clark: Can I take your number?
Pavla: My phone number is 405 102 021. I need him to call me as soon as possible.
Clark: I’ll tell him.
Pavla: OK, fine. Well thanks. Goodbye.