It does not matter whether you are the receptionist or the hotel manager. You should know the basic concepts of business communication, and how to apply it in everyday communication. Even seemingly minor error in the message content can cause problems and damage your reputation.
Make sure your business email is:
- intelligible – say clearly what the matter is and what you want
- clear – use simple sentence structures
- direct – go straight to the point
Consider the style of language that you use in your email.
we use formal language
- in communication with strangers and we want to establish a cooperation with them
- in complaint
we use neutral language
- in communication with business partners we know and we have good relationship with them
- in order, request, etc.
- Recipient’s name is known
Dear Mr Hoffman,…
- Recipient’s name is unknown
Dear Sir or Madam,…
- I am writing in reference to your email dated 26 June.
- I am writing to inquire about…
- I am writing regarding…
- I am writing concerning…
- I am writing with regard to…
THE BODY OF THE EMAIL
- Thank you for your email regarding…
- I am writing to draw your attention to..
- Thank you for giving us the opportunity to..
- I will look into the matter and get back to you as soon as I can.
- I await a response at your earliest convenience.
- Thanking you in advance.
- I would appreciate your immediate attention to the matter.
- I look forward to hearing from you soon.
ENDING BUSINESS LETTERS
In English formal emails is saying goodbye dependent on salutation.
If a recipient’s name is known and you used e.g. Dear Mr Jones, the farewell will be
- Yours sincerely,…
If a recipient’s name is unknown and you used e.g. Dear Sir, the farewell will be
- Yours faithfully,…
The formal business emails increasingly include informal farewell.
- Kind regards,….
- Best regards,…
- With kind regards,…
With reference to your email dated 5th May, we are sorry to inform you that we do not have any vacancies available at the moment. We are impressed with your qualification and work experience and will definitely consider your candidature when vacancies arise in future.
HR Manager of Vipac INC